Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

Poll results: Shoud/can the wee-community buy and develop Weewar?

Yes, and I'll pay to play 34% [ 41 ]
Yes, and I'll help 21% [ 26 ]
Yes, but it sounds impossible 14% [ 17 ]
Maybe - depends on the price and the skills required/on hand 21% [ 25 ]
No, bad idea - we'd just make a mess of it 5% [ 6 ]
No, let it die 5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 121

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next

McMonster

Tank

spadequack wrote:I just spoke with Alex. There is a definite plan in motion for the future of Weewar, which would empower the community to do much more than it can do now. I know the details, but unfortunately, Alex is binding me not to say any more until more of the details are worked out and cleared with the rest of EA. I can say, however, that the idea is a good and promising one and it may be a month, maybe two months or longer, before the plan goes into visible action.

Alex will keep me updated, and I will keep you all updated when I learn more.

Thank you very much for the update Spade. Good news? I hope? Sounds kinda familiar... maybe two months or longer?! I have to admit some sympathy for kersplat's reply above.

Could you please let Alex know that we would appreciate a specific update, with details on his plan, posted by him, ASAP - he can be as tentative and qualified as he wants, but we want to know what the plan is... NOW

We have been patient while EA has been neglectful for months and months. That is the least he can do to reciprocate.

The community is pissed, disillusioned, and mobilized, and I am toying with the idea of agitating for a wee-strike that might lead, eventually, to the community choosing to defect en masse and join a similar game that we can support and improve together.

And of course, weewar is, in large part, the wee-community. We have been surprisingly resilient and loyal, but enough is enough. We want answers today, tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I won't wait longer than that before I begin agitating.

Step one of the wee-strike will be calling for a 24hr wee-sit-in/out. Weewarriors will be asked to pop in and chat in the forums and on the chat thread, but not to take turns in any games for a specified 24 hour period. Those who play will be asked, politely, to stop for the duration of the day. My guess is weewar would come to a near standstill. Yes, we know that is not so uncommon, but this would be different. It would be a demonstration of wee-solidarity and our capacity to act collectively. It would be a gentle warning.

Please share this with Alex.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 27/08/2011 07:23:40

JanRoman

Raider

It's a very strange situation. I remember days, when there used to be an active development, test server had been running almost nonstop, Bert and Alex were testing new units (I'm sorry about mistakes in the past-time grammar, it's a bullshit) and community was satisfied even though we actually had to pay for it. Even trial players were actively playing and the invitational program for them was close to perfect.

I left Weewar for some time and when I came back, I saw the same players as before (I had been gone for more than a year), but the community, trials, blog, test server, almost everything was dissolved and the community became considerably smaller. Weewar is (and always has been) the best game of it's kind, however the EA "interference" killed it.

I understand that the WW purchase (not the planned one) might have seemed a good idea back then, however EA2D came up with their own projects (worse ones, really... Dragon Age? Are you kidding me? For crying out loud.) I'm quite curious, why did EA allow us not to pay for the game - it's just a proof that they didn't even care about WW for a REALLY long time. Servers cost something, everything has its own price, but it didn't matter to them.

As spade told us, EA is planning something. But I'm afraid it could turn evil. Weewar has the best combat system ever. The only thing I'm missing a bit is an addition of new features, which is missing since EA purchased WW and I think that's what made a lot of players to leave. Games have to undergo largescale development in a longterm in order to be successful - look at World of Warcraft, League of Legends! Huge companies, excellent games, huge profits. Their player numbers are growing. Not everybody is satisfied (I used to play WoW for a really long time and I know that now it's a shit), but the new features are very important - new features are what makes the game replayable, enjoyable, variable. That's what WW is missing in the first place (ofc it lacks more thing atm, advertisment, developers, servers, support etc).

The next terrible thing that could happen is Weewar connected to social media, like Facebook or Google+). You know, that shitty "The more friends you have, the better you are" stuff. That would absolutely RUIN EVERYTHING. But I fear that since it's so popular amongst game publisher community, it could happen here. And that would probably be the end of this reasonable and mature community (unlike 99% of other games, which are filled with 12-years-old children, who actually think that they are the best in the world even though they know nothing about it and you have to start crying because of their stupidity).

I would definitely like to see WW restored to the orignial state like 2 years ago. Let's start there and keep improving it. The worst mistake was the implementation of Flash. HTML is very capable of being the game engine and HTML5 possibilities are huge! And if we used HTML5, it'd be very easy to make WW smartphone+tablet-friendly (and it'd be easier for other platforms too).

I really don't know. EA should show that they really mean it and show us their plans (if there are any, which I doubt). They should even send their representative (and I don't mean spade) to forums in order to talk to us), it's not very big deal and it would really help. There are two options - Weewar could become very successful, or they could REALLY fuck it up. And our community hasn't had good experience with EA so I'm afarid they could choose the second option.

Yourtime

Raider

spadequack wrote:I just spoke with Alex. There is a definite plan in motion for the future of Weewar, which would empower the community to do much more than it can do now. I know the details, but unfortunately, Alex is binding me not to say any more until more of the details are worked out and cleared with the rest of EA. I can say, however, that the idea is a good and promising one and it may be a month, maybe two months or longer, before the plan goes into visible action.

Awesome to hear x)

MiniMaps

Trooper

There is a lot of talk at the minute, which is good, but its all for nothing unless EA sell it. So.... whats the situation, are they selling or not?

McMonster

Tank

Doesn't sound like it NG, if you read Spade's update post on page 5:

In my response I pushed for a more immediate, detailed update from Alex himself. I hope Spade passed this request on to Alex.

Did you Spade?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

@McMonster, no, not yet. There is a good reason they don't want to make their plans public yet. Imagine you are a big company and planning to do something that might attract some eyes, but 1) the plan has not passed through legal yet and 2) not everyone who needs to know about and approve the plan has done so yet. Leaking the idea to the public, especially in an official capacity, before it is definite and approved threatens the prospect of the plan being approved and looked upon well by superiors. Ah, the complications of being part of a behemoth company.

@kersplat, your frustration is certainly valid. The plan is just a plan and may fall through. As such, although I maintain hope in Alex's plan, I recommend that we in the community keep considering other options like building off of Warnet.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/08/2011 18:32:07

Plasmablaster

Heavy Trooper

spadequack wrote:@McMonster, no, not yet. There is a good reason they don't want to make their plans public yet. Imagine you are a big company and planning to do something that might attract some eyes, but 1) the plan has not passed through legal yet and 2) not everyone who needs to know about and approve the plan has done so yet.

I agree. They don't even HAVE to reply to us whatsoever. In which case of course, the "Balduran" plan looks as the only viable solution.

Eisbaer

Heavy Trooper

I do have an new question:

Why don't we develop an new Weewar? Get the best Ideas and take all these people which like to help and all the money from guys like me and develop weewar without flash so we will have an game that will work on smartphones too.

To easy or where is my failure?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

I think it would take 6-12 months of full-time development of one person, but probably actually two people, to make a Weewar-like game from scratch. If we build if off of Warnet, then most of the base is already built for us. I don't know how much time and effort would be involved in that, but it should be substantially less.

thuldai

Raider

How easy is it to make Warnet (aka "Balduran plan") go mobile?

Balduran

Heavy Trooper

As long "mobile" supports flash, then quite easy. Note that flash can be exported for iphones!

thuldai

Raider

You mean the "export as HTML5" feature on the newer Adobe software? Or how else? Let me know.

EDIT: Sorry for taking this somewhat off-topic. I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread though. And there's no pm feature...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/09/2011 07:55:45

Casaubon

Tank

maybe he is referring to a meta script language like monkey that can compile to almost anything

Balduran

Heavy Trooper

No, for flash there is an option to export for iphones

I hope my intel is not expired, but I know developers who have definately done stuff with flash for ihpones and ipads. (And not using some overall language that can be exported to anything)

Daithi

Raider

It is my understand that Adobe has added HTML5 export functions to the Flash program but I can't say i've seen this or any examples.

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next