Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next

Po

Berserker

Considering that I wrote the guide while under the influence of IPA, I think that's appropriate.

VoivodJimmy

Trooper

A couple of things that might be important - common sense imo but fairly essential for a successful game:

1) Vehicles get their defences lowered on a base. This is pretty counter-intuitive, especially to those reared on Advance Wars, so it needs to be heavily emphasised. What this means is that when defending a base that's under heavy fire, it's best to build troopers or heavy troopers on that base, and if they need extra support build your stronger units further back. Of course, if it's your last base throw everything you have at it by all means.

2) It is very, very rarely a good idea to attack another rocket with a rocket - personally I would only recommend this if there are no other units that are capable of being attacked on your turn, and their rocket is threatening your own valuable direct units. The reason for this is that there is no net gain in attacking a rocket unless the enemy rocket is on a base, swamp or forest - and you have wasted a turn that could have been used attacking, or manoeuvering into a better positon, or repairing.

3) Your number of bases and their postioning defines what is an expendable unit, not the base price of the unit. If you're earning 1000 each turn, with one "main base" that guards the majority of your territory, you can easily chuck off a few mid-range units for tactical advantage, or keeping pressure up - heavy tanks and heavy artillery. If, on the other hand you get 1000 each turn but 3 or 4 bases on the frontlines, then you can only afford to treat tanks and raiders as expendable. Higher strength units leave you at a serious disadvantage temporarily, and to compensate for this they must be kept alive as long as possible, to gain a long-term advantage.

I dunno how useful any of this is, I'm mostly posting as I learn things, and it's all fairly basic stuff. But hell, I'll keep trying to help till someone tells me to leave it alone.

Lucian

Berserker

These are slightly more advanced tactics you're talking off and probably warrant an entirely separate guide.

Po

Berserker

Yeah...I wasn't going for any kind advanced thing...Just a little "here is Weewar, and how to get started" guide.

KaBloom

Trooper

Good overview Po, thanks very much.

Only thing missing really IMHO is some advice on tactics. I have only played 2 games all the way through so far and steep learning curve

btw - good call on the IPA - Greene King I hope

Po

Berserker

Never heard of it...I live in Alaska, so the selection is a little rough.

And yeah, a tactics guide would need to be written by someone better at the game than I...I may know the Weewar basics, but I'm not the best player around here...Not even close. We'd have to get Niki or Rahl or Lucian to write the tactics guide.

Lucian

Berserker

Po wrote:We'd have to get Niki or Rahl to write the tactics guide.

Fixed that lil bit for ya. When someone writes up a guide on beating those two, gimmi a buzz.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/09/2008 12:45:17

Po

Berserker

Psh whatever...Modesty doesn't fit you well with the way you actually act INGAME, man. ;p

Lucian

Berserker

Ingame its different. At that point you've already took the bait.

General_Death

Tank

Very well done Po, just read parts of this now, as I have no patience for reading, but it sounds like you know what's going on. Invite me to a game if you want to test out your mad skills : )

Po

Berserker

I have no mad skills to speak of, but when I upgrade to pro again IT'S ON.

Mobuchu

Trooper

Just wanted to add another Thank you to the list. This was a big help for me, and for the couple people I refered to the site. Gets rid of that "so what do I do now" question that usually comes up for a new player

Mo

MapMaker

Raider

great guide

things i noticed

3-8 player games - really?

there is now skipping (as well as kicking/booting)

superimporant is not spelled right

bases - great job with those. I never ran into a player who didn't 'end' their turn, but I've run into a few that thought harbors and airfields provided income. Please add a big note that only bases, not harbors, not airfields provide income.

'capitulating your first metropolis' - might need a different word there

Lots of things prevent aircraft from flying overhead.

*It would probably help a lot to have the guide hosted and provide a link to the guide. That way new players can read the most up to date copy. I think it is about to be hosted via darkbee, but darkbee might not want to make any changes to the Po's great guide since it is Po's.

Lucian

Berserker

He's already made some changes to it I believe.

Darkbee

Berserker

A version of Po's guide, with updated screen-shots, is now available on the new WeeMoreWar.com community site.

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next