Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next

Darkbee

Berserker

I do.

DirtStyx

Tank

troymadsen wrote:I believe the latest statistics put over half off all marriages ending up in divorce...just sad. And I think you are right DB, about the disposable lifestyle. People just don't know how to or care to make life-long commitments.

Troy, that statistic is quite deceiving because it gives the impression that half of all new marriages fail and that just isn't the case. That statistic states that in a given year half (actually closer to about 40%) of the total number of new marriages end in divorce. But most of those (around 70%) are from marriages that did not originate from that year. Some of those divorces are coming from marriages of 20 years or 10 years and so on. When held up under that light, it becomes a much smaller problem than people make it out to be. If we use the total number of marriages in the US and not just the new marriages for that year, the 'half of all divorces' statement becomes untrue. But 'half of all marriages' is much easier to explain that the actual statistic that I just did. I'm not even sure I understand what I just wrote.

VTTruck

Berserker

no matter how you read the statistic its just way too high.

I've never understood many things about people who get divorced. Especially this one:
Person (Jack/Jane) leaves mate for another person. Jack/Jane marries second person
(Fran/Bob). What makes Fran/Bob think Jack/Jane is going to be faithful this time around?

I also agree with whomever made the point that too many people dont
understand what it takes to be in a long term committed relationship. If you
dont get it, dont get married. Unfortunately Hollywood and too many of the
american "role models" make marriage seem like car shopping. Just something
you need to do every 5-7 years.

Darkbee

Berserker

Said it before, I'll say it again. Disposable marriages for a disposable world.

Warmaker

Berserker

DirtStyx wrote: She doesn't know that your farts stink or that you snore like a chainsaw. Your wife does and still decided to stay.

I'm not gonna lie. I never snore. But the wife SERIOUSLY gets loud when she's been drinking. Has anyone ever worked construction? It's like listening to a grinder hog into an I-beam. It's not even cute, just offensive.

I love that girl anyway!

troymadsen

Tank

DirtStyx wrote: I'm not even sure I understand what I just wrote.

Same sentiment here Dirt.

And getting back to the original thread (so you can't call this a spam post) I have a confession to make. Sometimes I use stamps at work to mail my own personal letters <gasp> I occasionally will use an envelope too, but only when I am feeling daring. I hope you guys don't ban me from the forum for being such a hardened criminal.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/11/2008 19:48:39

Po

Berserker

Darkbee wrote:Said it before, I'll say it again. Disposable marriages for a disposable world.

What does this mean exactly? Elaborate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2008 01:44:53

Darkbee

Berserker

Well I had previously said in a post that we live in a disposable world. Everything is made to be used once and then thrown away. It stands to reason that some of that mentality might start to creep into our social/emotional lives. We seem to value all the wrong things.

Po

Berserker

Darkbee wrote:Well I had previously said in a post that we live in a disposable world. Everything is made to be used once and then thrown away. It stands to reason that some of that mentality might start to creep into our social/emotional lives. We seem to value all the wrong things.

This seems kinda of...Wrong...To me. I mean, things we use on a day to day basis, okay...But I have a ton of stuff that I hope to have for most of my life. I mean, if you extend your thinking to lifespans instead of years, I guess I can understand, but aside from like...World monuments like pyramids or the hanging gardens, that's always been a truism of mankind.

I guess what you're saying doesn't seem well thought through. Not to sound insulting, I'm not...I just like discussions like this.

Lucian

Berserker

Po wrote:
Darkbee wrote:Said it before, I'll say it again. Disposable marriages for a disposable world.

Bee stop gaying up the thread.

@ Po: Of course you mean to sound insulting. It's in your nature.

Bee, to quote one of the greater philosophers of our time, "Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else." You seem to be pullin shit from there so I thought I might do it as well.

Life is too damn short to worry about crap like that. Things are and always will remain disposable. People change, kings and presidents change, country borders change, nothing worth spending your time on is everlasting. The important thing is to realize what you truly value in your short life span and spend as much time with it as possible. For humans that thing generally tends to be family and friends. Learn to value them and you'll have fewer regrets when you look back on your life from your death bed. As for strangers, it's always a good idea not to not place harm upon anyone, but that doesn't mean you have to befriend everyone. Hell... if you end your life with a loving family and only one or two true friends, you've led a good life. Any more and you're grinnin.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2008 02:28:09

Po

Berserker

Lucian wrote:
Po wrote:

@ Po: Of course you mean to sound insulting. It's in your nature.

Psh, just because it's in YOUR nature doesn't mean it it's MINE.

Dickchops.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2008 08:04:00

VTTruck

Berserker

Lucian - you were drinking from the wrong bottle again. Where's your whiskey?

I was going to recommend that this thread be retitled the TMI thread.
Not after the turn its taken. Now its closer to the "One true thing" thread.

Shall we start discussing the merits of same sex marriage while we're here?
I say - make two separate things. Legal unions and religious marriages.
The legal unions get you all the legal implications (Taxes, medical rights,
inheritance, etc...) the marriages are for the churches/temples/etc.

Should remove 99% of the existing arguments against same sex marriage.

Darkbee

Berserker

VTTruck wrote:I say - make two separate things. Legal unions and religious marriages.
The legal unions get you all the legal implications (Taxes, medical rights,
inheritance, etc...) the marriages are for the churches/temples/etc.

Should remove 99% of the existing arguments against same sex marriage.

So should heterosexual couples be allowed to partake of a legal union, and gay couples, marriage? Why have one rule for one, and one rule for another?

And another thing, most people that get married in a church aren't doing so because they're religious, they're doing so because it's tradition.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/11/2008 14:08:50

VTTruck

Berserker

hetero couples get both. you aleady get registered with thestate/city to have a church wedding.

same-sex gets the legal union. no church sanction (by church i'm referring to any religion here)

Lucian

Berserker

Create a few more religions. For each religion that's anti-same sex marriage, just adopt all the other concepts of that particular religion and change the part which forbids same sex marriage. Original religion can't say shit because it's not their religion and the gay couple gets to keep their religious beliefs and live life the way they feel is right.

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next