Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

JanRoman

Raider

Hello,

I've established a forum dedicated to development. If you are interested in helping to develop this project, please register on the forum and write your name here so that I know I can activate your account.

You task is to share your ideas, discuss all the features I present and so on. Of course, your enthusiasm won't be forgotten when we launch the game.

punywars.janroman.cz

See you there!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/05/2012 10:17:25

nocks

Heavy Trooper

I've just registered, got the same name as here.

Darkbee

Berserker

Oh dear... say it isn't so. While I appreciate that it might only be a working title, I'd definitely rethink "puny" as this has bad/negative connotations/association in English.

"Wee" makes you think small and cute like a baby. "Puny" makes you think pathetic and weak like anyone who isn't Charlie Sheen.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Since I'm posting in this thread I might as well add my 2 cents worth. While I applaud any effort to create a Weewar clone, I'd caution you on opening the development up as a full-on democracy. As others have suggested, it's probably better to spend time thinking about a flexible game framework that can easily be adapted to accommodate new requests, build that, then let people play with it and give feedback.

Ideas for expanding Weewar are almost as old as Weewar itself. I'd focus on fixing some of the simpler complaints such as making sure things like team-chat are fully integrated into the game. Likewise, statistics should really be part of the game, not an add-on. Probably the other most common asked for feature would be the ability to transport units either by land, sea or air. These are the types of issues that Balduran addressed (along with the now fabled turn-replay feature) in Warnet, that make his game in many ways superior to Weewar.

The other consideration would be that while you might not be able to make a game that looks almost like Weewar, you might be able to make a game that is able to be easily modified to look like Weewar. I'm sure there are many enthusiastic hobbyists that would be happy to get their hands on a game that lets them make their own "mod packs" or customizations. That way you avoid any legal issues and users get to play a true Weewar clone.

Good luck!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/06/2012 16:06:19

JanRoman

Raider

Thank you for your reply. I am not a native ENglish speaker so that's a mistake apparently. I will consult it with colleagues and I'll see what to do.

We are developing a framework, that will be able to serve the community, not the other way around. Turn-based strategy games are a bit special in gaming world and I think it's a shame there's not much to choose from. We'll do the best we can and I hope we'll be able to present you a great game with many possibilities. And we don't want to make it and forget it, we'd like to improve it all the time.

thuldai

Raider

I'm not really shocked by "puny". Yes, it's small, but so is "wee". Let's ask the Dictionary:

wee |w?|
adjective ( weer , weest ) chiefly Scottish
little: when I was just a wee bairn.

Not so bad but then it goes on:

wee2 |wi?| informal, chiefly Brit.
noun [ usu. in sing. ]
an act of urinating.
• [ mass noun ] urine.
verb ( wees, weeing, weed ) [ no obj. ]
urinate.

Not really ideal, I'd say. Then puny:

puny |?pyo?on?|
adjective ( punier , puniest )
small and weak: skeletal, white-faced, puny children.
• poor in quality, amount, or size: the army was reduced to a puny 100,000 men.

Yeah, not really ideal either although I wouldn't mind an army of 100'000 troopers in either weewar or punywar...

Anyway, I'm not a native English speaker either so you should collect opinions from more of those. But I wouldn't immediately reject it as of yet.

JanRoman

Raider

Yes, I'll consult it with a couple of native English speakers. If "puny" is a problem, we'll come up with a different idea. Let's say Punywars is just a work-in-progress name

Darkbee

Berserker

I hope you didn't take it this way but my goal wasn't to point fingers or make fun of non native speakers English abilities. Merely point out that to a native English speaker "puny" has a negative connotation. I can't think of a good example in a different language since I'm not really fluent in any other language but the best I can come up with would be if you called it Schweinhund Krieg (Pigdog war)... not really going to have the Germans flocking to play it (or maybe it would, I don't know)

Anyway, the name is probably the least important thing of all right now. Puny Wars is fine for a working title since I guess it probably is a little puny right now.

JanRoman

Raider

Hello,

I'd like to announce that we're preparing a first preview (not playable at the moment). We will show you the Map Editor, I hope that it'll be fully functional soon (which would mean you could start making maps as soon as prototype textures are ready).

If you're interested, join our forum punywars.janroman.cz and be a part of the project (we have already implemented some features requested by players!).

See you soon.

JanRoman

Raider

I'd like to thank Darkbee for consulting the new domain name with me. I hope this is the final name and that you're satisifed with it.

Hexfray.com

See you there!

JanRoman

Raider

The official website of Hexfray is up! Send us your email please so that we can inform you about new releases and other IMPORTNANT (important only, no spam) information in the future.

http://www.hexfray.com

Thank you.

JanRoman

Raider

If you wish to participate in a test of our new Map Editor, visit this thread:

http://punywars.janroman.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12

...and send me a registration message as we don't have a registration forms ready and I want to be sure there are no outsiders.

See you there!

rayanjiffri

Trooper

make every move count.

JanRoman

Raider

Hello,

we still don't think the map editor is ready for testing, but here is how it looks right now. I hope you'll enjoy it. I strongly suggest joining us on Facebook or Twitter.

nocks

Heavy Trooper

amazing man! looks promising.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

Nice! Looks great!

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 next