Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

Hello Weewar Forums,

I have recently made a map based on the north east side of the Asia-Pacific region

(image shrunk for easier viewing)
Link for full sized image

The map contains Japan, Korea, and parts of China, Mongolia, and Russia

I have drawn the map to be as geographically accurate as possible without compromising gameplay, but since this is my first map, I'll need a lot of help balancing this before I can call it complete.

Here is the general concept behind each side:
Blue starts out with no bases, but has several hovercraft to capture whatever he wishes. Splitting blue's forces to capture bases on different continents give blue more potential to expand, but also territorial tensions with white and green.

Red starts out in Northern Japan in the North East part of the map. Red will mostly be fighting against Blue for control over central Japan, but Red should also watch out in case Purple attempts to make a beachhead.

Purple starts out in Russia in the North of the map. There is some room for expansion, although Purple may have to compete with Yellow and Green for its land.

Green is situated in the middle roughly where modern day North Korea is. Defensive terrain and a dense base spread means Green should be able to protect itself well, but any further expansion may be difficult without significant effort.

Yellow starts out in Mongolia in the North West part of the map. The desert landscape will hamper mid game production, but a slightly stronger starting force should help with early defense until Yellow is able to fully take advantage of its desert bases.

White begins in China the South West part of the map. White possesses a good amount of room for expansion, but will probably find it hard to advance against the choke points that yellow and green will eventually be able to take hold of without a strong navy.

Edit: Updated map with a few minor balance changes. Press map link for full description.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 30/08/2013 16:43:26

Gary_the_Barbarian

Trooper

Kudos for the effort. Looks good. Invite me if your testing it.

Casaubon

Tank

great map, if I was still active I would definitely share this map in Weeseltown. (enter the map buidling with the green globe above the door to access the map collections).

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

I'll get a game up and running once i finish a few more balance tweaks.

Fex

Heavy Trooper

It looks really nice! If there's still a free slot, feel free to invite me

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

Is there any way to invite people yet leave a few slots open for all to join?

Casaubon

Tank

no, either leave all slots to random people or define every single one. if defining you can start without all slots taken though

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2013 21:45:27

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

edit: I'm just going to use this post as a place to take notes for both theoretical and in-practice tests.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/08/2013 06:01:58

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

MapMaker's suggested changes for the map
(with minor terrain modifications of my own)

link for full size picture
edit: shrunk picture and added link

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 30/08/2013 07:23:42

Fex

Heavy Trooper

it really looks better.
in the first version each player (except blue) only had very few starting units (I think one?), which made the first rounds somewhat tedious.

But you can just post the link to the map, the pictures kill the board =)

adayofjoy

Heavy Trooper

Visual analysis of faction positions I so perfectly drew with my amazing photoshop skills :p

A depiction of the predicted boundaries in a FFA game (only income-providing bases were measured).

A base completely surrounded by one color means that base should be safe and easily defensible for said faction color given sufficient resources to capture it. Green for example, has relatively little room for expansion, but its defensive terrain and dense collection of starting bases means it can maintain tight control over what bases it does have.

A base surrounded with two or more colors means these places can potentially fall into any competing faction's hands. Blue has a lot of potential for spreading out, thus many bases have been marked as being potentially controlled by blue, but this comes at the cost of weaker security over any one of them. Blue can easily be overwhelmed if he gets too greedy in taking land, but at the same time, blue can lose many good opportunities if he plays too safe.

---
After drawing this map, I feel like Yellow may be a little too powerful compared to its neighbor Purple, but since Purple has a tank to help capture almost anything he wants (although not everything he wants), I'm willing to give this map another test before I make any more changes.

Casaubon

Tank

nice analysis dude!