Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 next

bakasam

Heavy Trooper

I'm not sure the admins/hosts interaction with its members, is anyone in communication with any admins or higher ups of WEEWAR?

I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a few things fixed with the site (No point in free and pro users) and maybe even new terrain (Snow tiles?) to help us extend our interest in playing.

There seems to be no revenue in the game. No premium accounts and no advertisements.
So why doesn't EA, or whoever owns this game sell it?

Hell, even I'd offer to buy it.

thuldai

Raider

Excellent idea! There's some ideas about buying it back but EA is dragging their feet. They supposedly have some ideas somewhere but it'll take a few more months (years?) until they might let us know about it (check the forum about it).

The closest to a liaison to EA is spadequack. He reads the forums and/or can be contacted via a private game. He fixes acute bugs when they pop up. But has no direct access to the source code afaiu.

He also said that one of the original programmers (alex I think) - who has been hired by EA, together with weewar, so to say - had some "ideas" with respect to weewar. But alex is currently on paternity leave (although that's a long paternity leave it seems to me) so until he's back there's nothing to expect from EA.

Other idea is to rewrite weewar as openwar (open source version). Search the forums for more about it. Any help there is appreciated.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

Alex is back from paternity leave now, but plans regarding Weewar are still moving really slowly at EA. It is just not high enough of a priority for the necessary higher up people to allocate much time to.

bakasam

Heavy Trooper

spadequack wrote:Alex is back from paternity leave now, but plans regarding Weewar are still moving really slowly at EA. It is just not high enough of a priority for the necessary higher up people to allocate much time to.

Then why don't they sell it? What sort of price would they be looking for weewar?
Like i mentionned before, there are no ads or member costs so i don't even see why they're holding onto it.
Sell it to us!

spadequack

Heavy Tank

I and others have pitched that to them, but when is the last time that you heard a big company like EA, Blizzard/Activision, or Ubisoft sell one of their low-profile games, either to another company or to the game's community? The latter situation is very much unheard of and may not have even ever happened. It would be bad for PR, for one. Mostly though, if EA wanted to sell Weewar, the price would have to be high enough that it merits the attention from all of the EA people that need to be involved and is worth the time and effort for them to tackle the many legal and financial obstacles associated with such an uncommon sale. Frankly, I don't think that Weewar is worth enough in its current state for someone to pitch a price high enough to make heads turn, so we're kind of stuck. Weewar has a lot of potential, but turning that potential into reality requires a team of skilled programmers and designers (or many, many unskilled contributors), and that costs even more money and effort past the initial buy.

In an ideal world, EA would realize that Weewar would now be better off in the hands of its community and just give it away as a philanthropic donation. But I'd say that administrative red tape, limited people resources at EA, and company pride will keep that from becoming reality, at least in the near future. I still have hope, but my optimism wanes with each new effort I help push through to them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/02/2012 21:09:10

thuldai

Raider

In any case thanks for trying, spadequack!

fn0000rd

Raider

Lots of games get open sourced once their economic viability ends.

EA's got a pretty horrible reputation among gamers, this would be a nice, easy way to alleviate some of that.

Just throw the source into github, put out a press release and move on.

thuldai

Raider

I'm not fully convinced that would be the best solution though. Right now EA is hosting this for free, who would pay afterwards?

Daithi

Raider

EA does have a bad rep but that doesn't stop people buying tiger woods 2057 or battlefield 73, so a bad rep hardly even matters to them.

With regards to hosting cost, someone would have to pay but I'm not convinced it would be that high. the flash client is the biggest bloat, I guess it depends on how many browsers are caching it, or downloading it every time.

The key issue is do you want to pay the same stagnant game forever at no cost or do you want innovation. If you're happy with the status quo then this is the best situation. If you want more units, bug fixes, new features then this is a horrible solution.

davidc

Trooper

My 2 cents... it would be LOTS cheaper to build a game from scratch, and make it better.

JanRoman

Raider

We are working on it David, just look here http://weewar.com/forum/posts/list/2356.page

bakasam

Heavy Trooper

Has anyone ever thought about starting a Kickstarter project?

You can get crowd funding to start projects.
Start one up to make a game like weewar, or even buy weewar.

Shulgin

Tank

bakasam wrote:Has anyone ever thought about starting a Kickstarter project?

You can get crowd funding to start projects.
Start one up to make a game like weewar, or even buy weewar.

Did you see JanRoman's post just above yours?

JanRoman

Raider

We are working on a remake every day. I hope we manage to finish it quickly.

thuldai

Raider

Back to the original question of this thread: spadequack, any news (ever) from EA? Is Alex already on his next paternity leave? Grand old silence over there?!?

previous 1 2 next