Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

Daithi

Raider

Greece is going down the pan because they're all lazy, spoiled gits, will it bring down the Euro? Do any of you care? Is the Euro all that important? should Britian stand back and LOL at the misfortune of those countries that don't use The Great British Pound?
I'd like to hear your opinions.

thuldai

Raider

Don't forget Portugal, Ireland, Italy and Spain. Maybe Belgium too? Who else?

I know Switzerland is suffering a lot as people are fleeing into CHF (both from USD as well as EUR). So the Swiss franc is super strong, which is nice if you go for holidays but the export industry (which is a huge chunk in a tiny country like that) is screwed.
At least all that imported stuff should get cheap, yes? No, as most importers don't know if it'll last and don't want to wiggle the prices too much, so they often just leave them where they were (nicely cashing in in the process).
Funny how that goes, no? Switzerland did nothing wrong and gets screwed anyway (well, it might, so far they're just yammering without much reason I find). They might as well have joined the EU as well as the EUR.

No such troubles in the UK? Is the GBP getting unhealthily bumped? Or are you yourself sufficiently crisis-ridden that no one would prefer a GBP over a EUR?

Nature_God

Tank

The Euro is good idea in theory. However, a country should be incharge of its own money so for that reason alone I am against it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/10/2011 16:56:48

xXODTDXxSHIELD

Heavy Trooper

us fat stupid americans have are hands full already playing video games, we dont care about no one" or thats what the taliban want you to beleive, people give us americans such a bad rep but in reality are country is just as good and bad as everyone elses

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

xXODTDXxSHIELD wrote:....in reality are country is just as good and bad as everyone elses

You obviously haven't seen my country.

But yeah, if the euro cooperation goes down the drain, that means banks in germany, france etc also go down, or at least take big hits, leading to reluctance to invest and austerity in general from the public and companies... And we know where that in turn leads.

Not a bright future for world economy right now and especially not for european economy.

I'm thankful my side won when the vote was on if my country was to join the European Monetary Union.

xXODTDXxSHIELD

Heavy Trooper

what country is yours

Nature_God

Tank

I was reading the comments on BBC and someone basically said Germany is using this whole thing to try and impose German rule on the rest of Europe.... Didn't that happen before with terrible consquences? lol. Of course this is a silly thought but as Germany is providing all the money to the bail out fund, you can see why they are using this chance to try influence the future eurozone into a 'german way of thinking and financing'. Good? Bad? Who decides....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/11/2011 22:40:20

xXODTDXxSHIELD

Heavy Trooper

it wasnt germany that was doing the imposing but the Nazi party

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

I'm pretty sure German financing would be preferrable to greek/italian. (If we're talking 21:st century financing and not that of the 1920:s Weimar Republik.)

Sovereignity is important, but if you sign up for the EMU you give up a bit of your own right to govern and agree to follow certain rules with regards to debts/inflation etc. Greece can still choose to bail out, efficiently bankrupting the entire country (Not sure it that is even possible as long as they share currency with large parts of Europe.) or they can accept the "salvaging packages" and the terms that come along with them. And as I understand it, the terms are hardly unreasonable.

(My country is the one without cuckoo-clocks and milk chocolate but that begins with the letters Sw...)

Nature_God

Tank

Sweden!

Daithi

Raider

As much as my first comments imply that I think it was wise for us to keep the pound instead of joining the Euro, I'm really not all that sure any more. The rest of the world sees Europe as a whole, Euro or not, we still have to pay the price for other countries mistakes.
I think those countries that are rioting because of changes that have to happen to make up for all the waste in previous years are rather childish. Your broke, you need to change to dig yourself out of a hole and what do you do, go smash up all your stuff so you have to buy more.
It's all a mess and things need to be rebalanced and in the short term the poorer people of Europe will suffer, in the long term we'll all suffer. We've all had it pretty good for too long and sooner or later that has to end.

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

Daithi wrote:We've all had it pretty good for too long and sooner or later that has to end.

Actually I think this is true in so many areas. Consumersdon't want to pay "extra" for groceries that are environment-friendly, but the thing is we where relly paying too low prices since producers could opt out of giving a f**k about environment/social issues etc. Same thing now, people are protesting that they are discussing raising the retirement age, when in fact we already have a problem with too many retiring too soon - The retirement age of 65 (or whatever you have) years was set when that was 5-10 years before death, not 15-20 years before. Were having it a bit too good, and that usually means we build up a debt, in form of untenable effects on our planet or economy, and that debt will have to be payed. By buying peas instead of stake or by working until you're 68.

[/rant]

Darkbee

Berserker

If only there was more Black Death and people dying by age 30. The world would be so much easier to manage.

We are victims our own success. There is a school of thought that says so far technology has been able to drive us and dig us out of social/financial problems but that eventually we will need technology far beyond out immediate capabilities to do that. At which point we'll be completely screwed. Are we there now? I don't know. I doubt it, but I do think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, which is a pretty scary thought.

Also scary is that countries have gone to war for a lot less. People do strange and unpredictable things their backs are to the wall.

Shulgin

Tank

Stop worrying kids, the end is nigh

However, a NEO larger than 1km wide will collide with Earth every few hundred thousand years and a NEO larger than 6km, which could cause mass extinction, will collide with Earth every hundred million years. We are overdue for a big one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/11/2011 17:00:16