Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 next

Daithi

Raider

So It's a slow news day and I got to wondering where everyone is from. I'm sure there's already a thread about this but it's dead and I didn't read it. I'd be interested to see if there was an even distribution from around the globe.

I'm from London, England.

thuldai

Raider

I'm from Switzerland, but currently living in Brussels, Belgium.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/09/2011 09:20:24

Casaubon

Tank

Living in Austria´s capital Wien, but born in a land, that used to be known as Czechoslovakia in it´s better times and ČSSR in it´s worse ones. My parents were hippie dissidents and expelled from the country, that´s why I am here ever since.

Shulgin

Tank

thuldai wrote:I'm from Switzerland, but currently living in Brussels, Belgium.

hey, i'm going to brussels for a meeting next week for 2 days. what's it like there?

otherwise: currently a uk resident

thuldai

Raider

It's mostly rainy, but if you're lucky it's just fogged up. (Sorry, it's been a crappy summer, if I dare call it "summer" at all).

There's very nice (and strong) beer and good food. It's said that it's French cuisine with German portion, which the locals don't really agree on, but it's quite accurate for an outsider.
Eat fries (don't ever call the French fries, big no-no, the Belgians invented the fries), best from one of the "friteries", i.e. from a stand somewhere along the streets. Be ready to pick one of roughly a dozen of sauces: ketchup, mayo, samurai (spicy mayo), andalouse (slightly spicy tomato-mayo), and many more I still haven't figured out. You can try to ask them what they are, but they tend to just repeat the names.
Try waffels from a stand or old VW bus along a road someplace.

As for touristy stuff: Check out the "Grand' Place", the central square from medieval times. Lots of tourist trap restaurants around there some of which, like "Chez Léon", are not all that bad, if you can ignore the couch-loads of retirees being shoveled in and out. Lots of chocolate places around there too. And Manneken Pis, the pissing little boy. Yawn, but one's got to see it I guess.
Other nice neighborhoods are "petit sablon" (lots of cafés and little stores) and "mont des Arts" (Hill of art, lots of museums) next to it. There's the music instrument museum that I've never visited but the restaurant on top has really nice views and decent food to go along without being pricey.
There's a relatively new museum dedicated to Magritte if you're into surrealism (which you have to be if you want to look at Belgian politics, which you really should not, I warned you).
The view from the terrasse next to the "Palais de Justice" is nice too (you can glimpse the Atomium in the distance). And then you can take the elevator down towards petit sablon.
Should you have even more time, you can go out to the freshly renovated Atomium that I find kinda cool.

Shopping: chocolates, beers. Then there's Brussels lace if you have a grandmother to please. Big shopping street is "Rue Neuve" but it's mostly all the international chains with some waffle stands in between. At the "Rogier" end of Rue Neuve is a big shopping mall "City 2" that has mostly all you ever could want.

Wow, that got long. But that's pretty much all there is to do, ever. Anybody feel free to correct me.

Be careful with your luggage and valuables, especially around and within train stations and other touristy areas. My parents-in-law just recently had their stuff stolen pretty much off their backs.

All clear? Invite me to a game if you want to know more...

TD

Shulgin

Tank

wow, thanks for all the info. unfortunately i'm going there for work, so i only have friday night to see the city...

Plasmablaster

Heavy Trooper

I live in Thessaloniki, Greece. In contrast with Brussels, here we beg for a few raindrops so that the merciless sun stops toasting us for a bit- it's been a hot summer!

Garry

Raider

I am from Kentucky, but now call Alabama home (by way of most of a dozen other states and - for you history buffs - the Federal Republic of Germany back when there were 2 Deutchland's).

Plasmablaster - I had a great friend from Thessaloniki! In the tradition of Great Alexander he was a Soldier. Very good man, great wife and family, but I could never agree with him on the alcohol he drank (do you really enjoy ouzo?!?)

Thuldai, you forgot how great a day-trip it is to Waterloo from Brussels, or your peeing boy statue (not sure what it says about the national character when your most famous art-work is...) And the great North Sea beaches! Belgium was our favorite 'other country' trip and we took the train to Oostende many times!

Casa, for some reason I had you pegged in Hong-Kong or someplace far east. I spent a little time patrolling your home country boarder, looking to help people like your folks if they braved the guards and tried to cross the boarder! What do you (and your folks) think of the 2-country solution now?

And Daithi, I could tell you have a better grasp of the English language than most - I guess it's because you feel more ownership.

thuldai

Raider

Heyhey, I DID mention the "pissing boy", as you put it, "Manneken Pis" more properly. Just search above.

And, true, I stuck to Brussels tips only, not Belgium in general. And as he only had 2-3 days or so, even that was too much info already. If you want to go outside of Brussels, true, there's the coast, there is Waterloo (yeah, it's ok, semi-impressed, but there's worse).

What I'd do first outside of Brussels is go to Bruges, Leuven and/or Antwerp. All very beautiful cities.

So I fully reject any and all of Garry's criticisms...

Daithi

Raider

Garry wrote:And Daithi, I could tell you have a better grasp of the English language than most - I guess it's because you feel more ownership.

That's kind of you to say but the reality is my English is pretty feeble for a native speaker. That damn punctuation gets me every time.

thuldai

Raider

You should have ended your post with a question mark to "make your point", haha.

Nature_God

Tank

England, somewhere in the north.

Darkbee

Berserker

Nature_God wrote:England, somewhere in the north.

Sans cutlery.

Sorensson

Heavy Trooper

Göteborg, Sweden. (But born and raised some 100km north of it.)

By the way, I'm curious: Do you see "Göteborg" or "Gothenburg" more often?

thuldai

Raider

Göteborg. Don't think I've seen the other one. Not that I see either one very often...

previous 1 2 next