Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 next

Warmaker

Berserker

Can we please, for the love of all that is holy, stop the nonsense with the stupid auto-end turn. Give the five second countdown. I am screwed in a game because that happened.

/pissed
/srsly

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

@Spadequack,

Thanks for the Weewar Stats update! It works great for me at work (Win XP SP2 with Flash 10.0 r45), but only works about half the time on my home machine (Ubuntu 9.10, Flash 10.something 32-bit). I'm happy to do any testing you may like me to try on Linux to help make it fully cross-platform... let me know what I can do!

Are you aware of a current list of GM scripts that have been updated to work with the new Weewar?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

JumpmanMJP wrote:@Spadequack,

Thanks for the Weewar Stats update! It works great for me at work (Win XP SP2 with Flash 10.0 r45), but only works about half the time on my home machine (Ubuntu 9.10, Flash 10.something 32-bit). I'm happy to do any testing you may like me to try on Linux to help make it fully cross-platform... let me know what I can do!

Are you aware of a current list of GM scripts that have been updated to work with the new Weewar?

Hm. Sure, email me at my username at gmail and we can try to figure out what goes wrong. It's a bit odd that it works inconsistently; maybe the timing of the API calls is poor.

Weewar Stats and Team Chat have been updated for the new Flash interface. I don't think any others have been updated. The ones that work on pages other than the game page (e.g. Weewar Spy/Profiler) should still work. Take a look around the Tools and Services forum for the most recent versions of all of the scripts.

McMonster

Tank

Warmaker wrote:Can we please, for the love of all that is holy, stop the nonsense with the stupid auto-end turn. Give the five second countdown.

+1

this is my wish upon a star as well. why the hold up devs? must be an easy fix, or, is it a problem with flash? who took issue with these magical 5 seconds of redemption? where do you get the idea the game is better without them?

hey, "the_new_guy", i'm talkin' to you.

JumpmanMJP

Heavy Trooper

I can say this is not a universal opinion... the old Weewar Suite GM script removed the countdown, and a lot of us back then loved it that way! When an update broke Weewar Suite, I really hated having to wait the 3 or 5 seconds before closing the game's tab.

Another part of Weewar Suite was Auto-Repair. What a godsend! After you were finished moving and attacking and were left with 5, 10, 50 units to repair, one click would repair them all, instantly! The same update broke that. Would be awesome to see that one again.

McMonster

Tank

JumpmanMJP wrote:I can say this is not a universal opinion... the old Weewar Suite GM script removed the countdown, and a lot of us back then loved it that way! When an update broke Weewar Suite, I really hated having to wait the 3 or 5 seconds before closing the game's tab.

Another part of Weewar Suite was Auto-Repair. What a godsend! After you were finished moving and attacking and were left with 5, 10, 50 units to repair, one click would repair them all, instantly! The same update broke that. Would be awesome to see that one again.

gotcha jump. perhaps the 5 seconds could be optional, like the silly graphics?

wow on auto-repair. is there a gracious gm script programmer out there who can help with that?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2010 05:04:34

RockyDog

Berserker

McMonster wrote:
Warmaker wrote:Can we please, for the love of all that is holy, stop the nonsense with the stupid auto-end turn. Give the five second countdown.

+1

this is my wish upon a star as well. why the hold up devs? must be an easy fix, or, is it a problem with flash? who took issue with these magical 5 seconds of redemption? where do you get the idea the game is better without them?

+10, I'll even put this ahead of my long squashed dream of having turn replay re-instated
(which was long ago made an impossibility)

Darkbee

Berserker

It's kind of ironic, initially I hated the 5 second countdown but I came to appreciate it over the years... It's like a good friend you never knew you had. Ah, the good old days!

bonchon

Heavy Trooper

I know I'm coming into this discussion very late, but I've been away from Weewar for a while.

I was shocked to return and find the game had been nuked and replaced with a Flash app. In one fell swoop, 90% of what I loved about Weewar was gone for good.

I've tried playing a couple games on it, but it's too distracting. There's no point in tallying the failings of Flash here, that horse has been well beaten. Suffice it to say that not only did performance suffer, but the purity and simplicity of an HTML game I could play in any browser is gone, along with the fun.

Perhaps someday Weewar will be a web game again. I'll be the first in line with my credit card and my soldiers ready to fight.

Until then, I guess it's a fond farewell to my favorite game on the web. So long, Weewar - it was great while it lasted.

chriswells78

Trooper

What's with all the spam bots starting games on the test server?

Somar96

Tank

It's not bots. It's people.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

madmike has let me know that the reason for the switch to Flash was not made very clear. It was mentioned on the blog but I guess not very prominently. The main reason was that the server was being bogged down with all of the requests made and also not responding to requests at a reasonable rate - sometimes missing requests, so we wanted to move some of the computation client-side. Now, computations like pathfinding and figuring out which units you can attack when you click on one of your own units is done locally in the Flash client.

RodiX

Trooper

So there is no way to have an AJAX interface back?

For example, the fan on my MacBook starts when I'm playing Weewar now, which is very annoying.

johnmd20

Raider

RodiX wrote:So there is no way to have an AJAX interface back?

For example, the fan on my MacBook starts when I'm playing Weewar now, which is very annoying.

There are so many annoying things are Flash, it boggles the mind. Here I am, diligently trying to take a turn and i keep getting the reload error. Or I keep getting "hung up" when making a move or an attack, which requires a refresh.

Whatever the case, it is beyond annoying and still very, very sad! I hate you Weewar. And I used to love you so very much, now I'm like a battered woman continuing to come back for more beatings despite no evidence things will ever get better.

McMonster

Tank

Hey Johnny!

Don't be so glum. Perhaps Spade can clarify, but it is my impression that the slow downs these past few days have more to do with Zapp being back and a doubling (or more?) in new game/active game volume than any deeper structural issue?

Have you lost any units or cash due to out of sync errors? Not I, at least, and heaven knows I have been playing a ton! (thanks in no small part to yourself, good sir).

Hopefully Spade's fixes have actually worked and EA just needs to invest in more server space for weewar in response to the dramatic upswing spurred on by the fixes and the free-bee.

Ah, all we need is Bee (and several others) back and the wee-world will be right once again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/06/2010 14:05:01

previous 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 next