Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

Poll results: Shoud/can the wee-community buy and develop Weewar?

Yes, and I'll pay to play 34% [ 41 ]
Yes, and I'll help 21% [ 26 ]
Yes, but it sounds impossible 14% [ 17 ]
Maybe - depends on the price and the skills required/on hand 21% [ 25 ]
No, bad idea - we'd just make a mess of it 5% [ 6 ]
No, let it die 5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 121

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next

McMonster

Tank

GREAT Plasma! Did you vote up top?

It use to cost $20-24 per year, depending on how long you signed up for.

You can see how many weewarriors there currently are by scrolling down the ranking page here: http://weewartimes.com/rankings/

There use to be a little over 1000, not sure how many were paying at the high point - 500? More?

I've put you on the list above - let me know if I should correct the description.

Please read the first comment in the thread for background info.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD AS BRIEF AND SUCCINCT AS POSSIBLE SO THAT OTHERS WILL NOT BE INSPIRED TO BREAK YOUR FINGERS. And try to avoid poo pooy naysaying in this thread - thoughtful critiques welcome however!

Please VOTE in the poll at the top of this thread - note that I just edited option 1, so it's not that no one is willing to "pay to play"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/08/2011 19:58:19

Daithi

Raider

i hear you Big D, but conditions may have changed - we'll see.

This is no doubt true. The previous endeavor was more secretive and at least two of committed parties from the previous attempt are now longer interested.

Because of the way EA has run this game and others, I no longer have any interest in any EA game.

I'm with Vagus, here here. As the second person to vote no let it die, I've tried to operate that policy myself for several years. When I bought my years subscription there was no EA logo, no sign it was an EA game, Now my subscription has finished.

In a year about all EA has done for Weewar is add their logo.

Weeseltown

Raider

I´d be in and invest time, workforce and even money but I think we could offer EA to keep it while volunteers do the maintenance and development/improvement.
Why should EA do this?
Main reason: they could learn from it. maybe a collaboration of big company + community initiative could prove to be a unusual but a viable business model. the server / traffic costs must be peanuts for them. Imagine Weewar as a community driven EA title in a nonflash version in html5 on ipad iphone android windows mac etc. with a constantly growing user base. they could boast with this.

I think weewar attracted so many interesting people in the past contributing hundreds of work hours without being asked to do so, what if they were asked to contribute officially? wouldn´t this have worked out? I do think so.
regarding the skill issue: weewar was cloned several times by 1 or 2 man startups. I think they offer solid products (but lacking the special something/elegance weewar has) but are not doing very well financially. what if these guys or guys with similar skills wanted to became official developers in a weewar community dev team?

spadequack

Heavy Tank

Do we have any interested mobile developers?

A key aspect we are lacking is programming ability. We have one interested member who has offered to take on coding and maintaining the core of Weewar (but not as a day job), assuming we have a solid organizational structure and he is at least somewhat compensated for his time and efforts.

A few have mentioned the idea of spreading Weewar onto mobile devices. This is possible, and potentially lucrative, but not without someone to do it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2011 20:03:29

Daithi

Raider

I'm willing to talk about it if this gets serious. you already know my rap sheet.

I'm a software engineer and have experience in varying ranges on lots of platforms PHP/HTML/.NET Compact Framework/SQL/C++ and I can get by or adapt to new environments quickly. It's more than likely there's a way I can be of some help, I already have a lot of Weewar specific code that can be ported and/or integrated after the initial problems have been fixed.

I've always been willing to help in the right circumstances and make a positive contribution, as I try to do now but I'm not a fool, I see many problems.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/08/2011 20:50:52

Brianiac

Heavy Trooper

I'm pretty grumpy about the current state of things, but still see a ton of potential in Weewar. I think with a little mad science, some cadaver parts, and a few tesla coils we can put it back togetherbetter than ever.

I have zero programming skills, but if we get a serious enough effort going I'm willing to contribute time and about $6.50 (I'm not rich) to the cause. I am pretty good with organization/PR/marketing etc.

Also, regarding the community ownership angle, I work with a community-run radio station here locally. Its chaotic at times, but seems to flow alright once people understand their roles.

ovalteens

Trooper

Can you approach Blizzard with weewar and sell it to them? So that way they can make a Starcraft version and port it to portable devices? I know it's Activision and all..but, hell...it's about time.

Rahl

Raider

I'm happy to help however I can-- my professional background is QA and could offer support in those kinds of developments, should we succeed in purchasing. I have some programming (C++, java) background, as well, but not enough to head a mobile project (which I think is a FANTASTIC idea).

Plasmablaster

Heavy Trooper

McMonster wrote:GREAT Plasma! Did you vote up top?

It use to cost $20-24 per year, depending on how long you signed up for.

You can see how many weewarriors there currently are by scrolling down the ranking page here: http://weewartimes.com/rankings/

Thanks for the info. I voted "yes and I'll help" because I can do that without any conditions whereas giving more money than the subscription would happen under certain conditions as I stated in my previous post.

I saw you put me in the list as "game development - help with overall co-ordination?" If you mean overall co-ordination of the game units, rules and content development then that would be a yes, at least until I prove to be insufficient in co-ordinating anything. Make no mistake - I'm pretty confident in my ability to help develop the units and rules.

RockyDog

Berserker

spadequack wrote:Do we have any interested mobile developers?

A key aspect we are lacking is programming ability. We have one interested member who has offered to take on coding and maintaining the core of Weewar (but not as a day job), assuming we have a solid organizational structure and he is at least somewhat compensated for his time and efforts.

A few have mentioned the idea of spreading Weewar onto mobile devices. This is possible, and potentially lucrative, but not without someone to do it.

@SQ - Talk to EV/EB. he used to be a mobile developer.

@rest of topic - good luck.

I think you'd find it easier to start from scratch as balduran did and elitecommand did. Also would give you the flexibility to add in those things that have been requested for a long long time now, but the base code explicitly will not allow (replay, etc.)

If only elitecommand/balduran and daithi could get together we'd already have the product we want without the detrimental effects of EA's business practices.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2011 23:12:54

Rosenstern_and_Guildencrantz

Heavy Trooper

McMonster: HIGH FIVE on taking the initiative and getting this going!

1) I think this is a great idea and should most definitely be pursued, especially after reading the responses and seeing a number of people willing to commit time on this. This is a flavorful community and I sense a lot of passion/drive from people commenting. Already, that is more than EA can offer weewar. WEE-WARRIORS UNITE!

2) My good friend is a full-time programmer who has played weewar a solid amount and understands the problems and issues involved. He expressed to me, as well as spade, that this IS in fact a project he is capable of and might be willing to pursue. That being said, he is a full-time programmer, which means he has a full-time job. So this would obviously be a part-time project for him and that could mean the development process goes slower and takes longer than people might be hoping for. The extent of this task will require further analysis by a group of committed individuals. My friend would also expect some form of compensation (most likely monetary) but that can be worked out later.

3) The MOST IMPORTANT issue here is determining if we can even get the game rights from EA. If we can't then all this talk is in vain. McMonster or Spade: would one of you be willing to spearhead the negotiations with EA. I am certainly willing to help if we can bring them to the table to talk about a change in ownership.

4) I will definitely help with this. I also have a full-time job now but would be willing to commit an hour on each weekday and perhaps 5 on the weekends for around 10hrs/week. I would love to work on site design and improvement options. For this to be a financial success we need to aggressively boost the customer base before we can start charging people again. Without drastic improvement, charging anything would cause an immediate flop. These improvements need to be discussed and their difficulty needs to be evaluated in terms of time and skill involved. I would be very eager to lead/participate in a group of people that would assess and prioritize these improvements.

5) Once again, talks with EA are the #1 issue. They MUST be willing to negotiate, so that is where all of this will begin. Rallying support and money is useless if they are unwilling to part with weewar.

This thread has made me very excited and hopeful for the future of weewar! Let's keep our fingers crossed and maybe EA just hands it to us on a silver platter.

- R&G

*Edit

#1) My friend is capable of mobile development

#2) After reading RD's response, perhaps we don't need EA to grant us ownership rights if we are going to go the route of 100% redevelopment. But if that is the case there will be a huge increase in man hours required and I think we may have to gather some form of funding.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/08/2011 23:47:20

RockyDog

Berserker

Rosenstern_and_Guildencrantz wrote:
#2) After reading RD's response, perhaps we don't need EA to grant us ownership rights if we are going to go the route of 100% redevelopment. But if that is the case there will be a huge increase in man hours required and I think we may have to gather some form of funding.

What's more likely AND cheaper - buying from EA or buying from Balduran or Elitecommand?

McMonster

Tank

I am very excited about your response Rosy. Do you think you can lead the team? Spade has emailed Mark at EA. If there is an opportunity, let's talk, as a broad community, about money and organizational/decision-making structures:

1) Short-term for the negotiation and brainstorming phase
2) Medium-term for the initial development and take over phase
3) Long-term for the operational phase.

Personally, I would be in favour of as much wee-community participation as possible, without sacrificing too much in terms of efficiency. We'll need to agree on a vision and timeline for Weewar's development and some basic principles and values. The structures will flow from that. Initially, I would suggest a lot of free wheeling brainstorming/discussion and debate with a small team assigned the task of drafting a vision and values statement out of that process.

Part of me thinks a separate e-space would be best for that process (i.e. Darkbee's site), but most of me thinks we should just hype up the Weewar forums and do it here!

Anyway, getting ahead of ourselves, am I. Let's see what Mark from EA says in response to Spade.

Note, that if he says no, we might be able to apply some pressure in the yes direction...

RockyDog wrote:
Rosenstern_and_Guildencrantz wrote:

What's more likely AND cheaper - buying from EA or buying from Balduran or Elitecommand?

Good question - it would be helpful to have those numbers. But perhaps the deeper question is whether we can really replicate the wee-experience and wee-community with a copy-cat game? I bet not. Warnet and Elite Command just aren't as appealing. Weewar may have flaws and need devo, but it's the game I'm interested in.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/08/2011 02:21:40

Yourtime

Raider

Hoi all,

I read thr article and think it's great *thumbs up* and want help too, as long (well not that long) member and big fan. I already asked nearly a year ago, if there are interests in an native iPhone application for weewar, I'm interested to do that and would be an honor. I'm currently a full time java developer and did already on my school exam an iPhone application with network and xml. I want help to keep weewar alive.

sincerely your,
Yourtime

PS: I know I wasn't much at the chat any longer, but I hope you understand it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/08/2011 12:44:49

RockyDog

Berserker

McMonster wrote:

Good question - it would be helpful to have those numbers. But perhaps the deeper question is whether we can really replicate the wee-experience and wee-community with a copy-cat game? I bet not. Warnet and Elite Command just aren't as appealing. Weewar may have flaws and need devo, but it's the game I'm interested in.

When you buy a house you have to look past the paint, wallpaper and fixtures to what it could become. Warnet and elitecommand have 90% of the structure you want and need. They also have the flexibility for some of hte additions you want to add. Changing the graphics would be trivial compared to writing your own game. And if you can buy them at a fraction of the cost you wouldn't need to have such a large committee. Additionally those sites come with built in users and community. not to mention you would certainly get a significant number of these players to migrate. Lastly - if those two sites can easily replicate the mechanics of WW then why is THIS particular game seen as so hard to replicate? it's been done at least twice - and done well (just not identical).

Plan your next step with open minds, not a heavy set of WEEWAR blinders.

Purchasing weewar you will inherit some of the baggage that it has built into the code. For example you wont get turn replay without extensively changing code which is very dangerous for a project of this size.

The only thing WW has that you cant replicate is the domain name.

I'll do my best to stop posting. I wish you all the best. Back to retirement.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/08/2011 14:17:13

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next