Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

RockyDog

Berserker

Hello, I'm not actually involved with the weebot development crew, but there was an interesting chat regarding its future. I thought it deserved to be read by all and not just those of us on before the chat log expired.

RockyDog

Berserker

Yourtime:hm .. I'm only thinking what happens now with the fan project .. weebot .. will it makes sense to continue ?
Yourtime:I mean the motivation will fall , a little bit I think , don't know
spadequack:why would it not make sense for weebot to continue?
Yourtime:don't know.. weewar was before a hobby project
Yourtime:now the big companies own it.. and mostly they won't hear of suggestions
Yourtime:we are currently working on a alternative map editor for weewar and weebot modder
Tygerdave:not sure what weebot has to do with suggestions
Yourtime:As I know, weebot was first only for AI .. then it grew and now I think it's made for players , to feel the unit suggestions or terrains
Yourtime:you know, what I mean?
spadequack:yeah, but that doesn't mean it needs to end
spadequack:weebot is basically a local customizable clone of weewar, right?
Yourtime:hm... yes and no , what do you mean with local?
Yourtime:on the pc , or only hot seat playing
Tygerdave:not on the weewar servers
Yourtime:ok
Yourtime:ya its a enchanted weewar, full with "dreams" xD .. much of them are nonsense or only fun ideas
spadequack:it's a good niche to fill
Tygerdave:I see no reason for weebot to discontinue, unless all the people working on it quit playing weewar
Yourtime:but some of them are standards of the concept , which weewar is using.. that doesn't have
Yourtime:hm I don't want stop, don't get me wrong , I only scared about the future of weebot
Yourtime:*I'm
Yourtime:but I'm excited what will happen with weewar in the next half year
RockyDog:the danger to weebot is that if weewar changes the underlying mechanics weebot wont remain compatible with the main host.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2010 12:02:40

RockyDog

Berserker

Sorry too lazy to reformat the chat logs.

I also wonder why the weebot devs couldn't use their code to put up an online weewar clone WITHOUT the bugs. If they have a standalone version for LAN play, how much code change is there to modify to a server mode?

how expensive is it to get the server access?

what were the legal terms and conditions of the eliza API when they downloaded it? would they be subject to any legal suit for using it? commercially or otherwise?

Casaubon

Tank

weebot is a harmless fanproject. it hasnt got the volume or layout to host more than 1 game at a time. hopefully it can provide a better AI than zapp in the future to give something back to weewar.
see our faq

kajah

Heavy Trooper

As Cas and yourtime said, it's just a fan project for playing around with different unit and terrain ideas. It was actually originally just a bot project, but got a little bigger. I also deliberately kept the server as "dumb" as playably possible to stop anyone trying to set up their own real server. If the intent was to set up a competing product to weewar it would have already been done and apps like Weebot Headquarters (that allows you to record games etc) have been written to enhance weewar, not take away from it.

So it would be ashame if weewar dies, but weebot could still live on with it's own mods, although the motivation would drop I would imagine.