Available playersTop players Chat Forum External sites: Wiki

«

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next

Darkbee

Berserker

Thought I'd collect together the outstanding issues that we the Weewar community would be verily pleased to see addressed. Not talking about drastic changes such as "put it back the way it was" but the little annoying things that spoil the gameplay a bit. In addition, I don't think we should say things like "remove the silly little coin icon on bases". Those types of things are minor irritants and intended to help new players, just accept that they're going to be there and move on.

The devs have already addressed:
  • Making income and total credits more prominent
  • adding a cursor to the game chat
  • flagged users no longer in the game
  • added map coordinates

• Outstanding Issues
  • Fixed: Out of sync, time-out errors
  • Fixed: Cannot capture team-mate's bases
  • Fixed: In games where public chat is permitted, all non-participating user's chats are displayed as guest. However, you must be logged in to post chat. Username of posting player should be displayed, NOT "guest".
  • Fixed?: Sometimes the game name in the browser title is repeated.
  • Display whether user is online or not in game
  • Personally, I think the "you" graphic is hard to see and annoying. I'd rather see an offline/online circle for all players, possibly making it an online/offline arrow for "you". This would also deal with the above issue.
  • The battle results screen still confuses me, I'm sure it used to say how many units were lost, rather than how many are left. I'd like to see both and be able to click it away anywhere on screen if possible.
  • Clickable Hyper links within in-game chat
  • Fixed: AND/OR be able to copy/paste in-game chat
  • Either allow the user to turn off the "Escape to exit full-screen" message or allow the user to click it away
  • Allow 5 second time-out before ending turn
  • What else?

• Enhance Gameplay
  • Keyboard shortcuts for things like capture/repair
  • This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 18/02/2010 13:28:34

kersplat

Raider

Either remove the little gray coordinate box on hover that currently gives only 0,0 or update it to give the correct coordinates. To be clear, I'm fine with the coordinate display as it currently stands - in the bottom left - and I'd prefer that the hover coordinates be removed.

Darkbee

Berserker

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the "avatar bar", there's information missing that I'd like to see (as noted in the original post), and it just seems cluttered.

I'd like to propose a change to what is displayed and how. These are samples below that I came up with, they could be tweaked however people saw fit so long as the information contained within them remains.

The proposed Avatar Bar has the following features:
  • black triangles mark the player whose turn it is*
  • beige marker indicates "you"*
  • The green and grey circles represent currently online and offline respectively.
  • The border color around each icon represent player color with respect to the map.
  • None of the player avatars are obscured by other graphics so it's easier to see them**
  • The actual space of the new avatar bar is the same as the existing one. Takes up no additional screen real-estate

• *These are interchangeable, the purposes could be reversed if that was deemed more readable. Obviously colors and styles could vary too as deemed appropriate by the developers.
    **Except when I player is no longer in the game, but I think that's ok, because then you don't care as much.

Remember these are just mock ups and I have no idea what is feasible and what isn't:

Horizontal icons style

Vertical icons style:

In addition, I have no idea how comfortable these would be for our color-blind/partially sighted wee-warriors out there. Comments welcome from all.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 26/01/2010 19:50:49

spadequack

Heavy Tank

I also think the avatar bar is a bit cluttered and should show online status as well. Also agree that the "YOU" image doesn't look that great, but a beige arrow indicating this is you isn't very intuitive either. Also, I think the team letters are a bit small. I do like your mockups, Bee, other than those points.

I would cut the chat screen area in half and use the top half for a vertical listing of the players like before. Make that info a tabbed panel - i.e. one tab shows what the current players statuses are, second tab shows their in-game stats: #bases, etc. Something like that, perhaps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/01/2010 19:52:11

Darkbee

Berserker

spadequack wrote:I also think the avatar bar is a bit cluttered and should show online status as well. Also agree that the "YOU" image doesn't look that great, but a beige arrow indicating this is you isn't very intuitive either. Also, I think the team letters are a bit small. I do like your mockups, Bee, other than those points.

I would cut the chat screen area in half and use the top half for a vertical listing of the players like before. Make that info a tabbed panel - i.e. one tab shows what the current players statuses are, second tab shows their in-game stats: #bases, etc. Something like that, perhaps.

Yes, the beige arrow is pretty non-descript, I suppose you could even use the original "You" graphic if you really wanted to! I just threw something quick and dirty together, but point is well taken. As for team letters, I think you get a little more space with the vertical icon arrangement so they could be made bigger. The horizontal arrangement doesn't give you much room to play with. I probably should have prefaced the whole thing with "I'm not a graphic designer". Thanks for the feedback.

I like your idea of cutting the chat in half and having a tabbed info panel even better though! Presumably it would hide along with the chat? That would make sense to me. And if you're going to do that, then I wonder why you couldn't just move up all the buttons/information from the bottom toolbar and do away with it altogether, creating more vertical space for the map.

RockyDog

Berserker

under the repairs category:
    replace the 5 second countdown to end turn, at worst make this a toggle feature so those of us that do want it can have it turned on again.

as far as the avatars go - i did find it useful/interesting to see players rankings with their avatars before.

lastly - when you end turn IF you are in full screen mode, revert to normal view. this is how the functionality worked before I think. and even if not, please change to do so. the new full screen mode removes the games/community/other links so its necessary to navigate around.

remove the delay after clicks to select things. there's a noticeable lag when i select a base to purchase and getting the purchase menu. similarly for moving units. definitely with the animation 'continue' problem, but i assume that will be gone soon.

i've noticed MANY more units surviving with 1 health lately. i know this has been noted before, but it seems rampant now. were the behind the scenes computations changed somehow?

CaptainCupCake

Tank

I heard that you can't capture a team mate's base - could anyone confirm?

McMonster

Tank

Thanks to the Bee for summarizing the outstanding issues in a calm and collected flash-era manner.

RockyDog wrote:under the repairs category:
    replace the 5 second countdown to end turn, at worst make this a toggle feature so those of us that do want it can have it turned on again.

as far as the avatars go - i did find it useful/interesting to see players rankings with their avatars before.

These are my only big beefs with flash, although I do agree with Bee that being able to link and cut and paste from the chat boxes is a nice feature that i'd be happy to see return.

BUT, PLEASE get my five seconds of redemption back ASAP, and let us see rankings and login status again.

Not so difficult Bert and Alex? Many of us who are not upset about flash are just asking for little things like this. Are you listening? Or is this more complicated than I imagine?

Oh, and this:
    CaptainCupCake wrote:I heard that you can't capture a team mate's base - could anyone confirm?

Yes, that is the case and it is a problem in a euro game i am playing, although it can be circumnavigated by leaving your team for a turn, that can cause ZOC problems. unless a teammate happens to be on with you and you can leave, cap, and be re-accepted to the team.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 27/01/2010 15:39:12

Darkbee

Berserker

CaptainCupCake wrote:I heard that you can't capture a team mate's base - could anyone confirm?

Did this change recently then? You always used to be able to capture team mate's bases. I did it fairly recently, a couple of weeks ago, by mistake.

spadequack

Heavy Tank

Yeah I can confirm it too. It should be a bug. I doubt they would change that on purpose.

I agree with the comments above. Loved the 5 second countdown. Noticeable lag between clicking base and build menu. Want to see online status (and sometimes ranking), but definitely avatar bar needs to be improved a bit as it looks cluttered. And of course, all of the sync problems need to be addressed.

About battles: They might have removed the "amphibic" and "speedboat" unit classes. It is hard to tell without knowing directly from the devs. The build menu and the spider graphs suggest such a change.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 27/01/2010 17:40:11

CaptainCupCake

Tank

I hope they haven't changed the battle mechanics, or at least let us know if they have...

Darkbee

Berserker

That would be consistent with what Vagus is saying about getting battle outcomes that should never happen. Maybe they did a switcheroo and were too scared to tell us after the last outbursts! Raving loonies, pitch forks at the ready!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/01/2010 20:39:21

CaptainCupCake

Tank

Say it ain't so Never mind the T-Shirts what about the blindfolds? How can you have competition if you don't know what the rules are?

Darkbee

Berserker

Maybe they inadvertently released the April 1st patch too early?

Hal2000

Raider

DB, incorporate these bad boys as well.

- The "hotkeys" for capture, repair..etc should require ctrl or alt + a key otherwise it would be very easy to think you are tying but end up repairing a unit or something else.
    - Add a flashing cursor back to text. (small but nice to have)
    - Instead of team letters on the already small icons, maybe color the boxes to show all players on the same team? Maybe the icon boxes shade the color of the player who setup the team? (ie blue if blue player starts team).
    - Build in Army Stats, Teamchat, Battle Graph (have the option to link to army strength or potential. Army strength means little to me. I always watch army potential) and Map Rezise instead of having this as GM scripts.
    - It would also be nice with Army Stats to have Team Army Stats as well. Same with Battle Graph.
    - Allow me to toggle chat closed for a game and have WW remember I wanted it closed or open vs making me minimize it every time I reload the map.
    - Mouse wheel scroll. Would be nice to have back.
    - Add back "confirmation" check on skip and kick and send reminder. I haven't used these but I'm guessing it is one click and done which could happen if I'm trying to select "send reminder".
    - As others have mentioned, when I select "turn off animation" give me a quick window like before that shows me the unit and the number killed on each side. The simpler the better.
    - End Turn cooldown is a must! At least add a confirmation challenge in case hit end turn by mistake.
    - Make sure all team/surrender/kick/skip/offer peace show up in chat window.
    - Communication. This is the easiest of all the requests. The devs can do what they want, but a lot more communication would be much appreciated. A new post showing the update to the dev blog would be great. I'd like to see the devs even post to take credit for adding back the "hex numbering" so quickly. That is good stuff they should take credit for it. Plus it gives the players a nice warm fuzzy feel that we are loved and cared for even if you could care less if we live or die.

With the fix to the GM scripts and the hex numbering back, I think the new interface will be fine once the bugs are worked out. I'd just like to see some player requested stuff added to the game going forward.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/01/2010 00:14:00

previous 1 2 3 4 5 next